Basements & crawl spaces are the most problematic areas
Excessive moisture builds up from infiltration & everyday activities. These areas also lack ventilation which leads to a buildup of pollutants and moisture saturation. Tighter homes trap moisture and pollutants, creating an unhealthy and unsafe environment. Natural air flow pulls the pollutants upwards into the living areas affecting the whole house.
- BIOLOGICAL GROWTH Moisture fosters proliferation of mold, dust mites, bug infestation
- AIR POLLUTANTS Radon, Combustion Gases, Carbon Monoxide, VOCs
- STRUCTURAL DAMAGE Moisture can lead to wood rot of floors and beams and damage pipes and windows
- HEALTH ISSUES Moist, stagnant, polluted air can lead to respiratory ailments, asthma, and other health conditions
What the Experts say:
World Health Organization
“Occupants in damp buildings have a 75% greater risk of respiratory ailments and asthma”
EPA and Surgeon General
“Need moisture control and ventilation to reduce asthma, illnesses, respiratory ailments…”
EPA Recommends Mechanical Ventilation over Dehumidifiers
As part of their guidance for moisture control under the Indoor airPlus program, the EPA recommends mechanical ventilation like the one offered by WAVE Home Solutions
WAVE systems were tested, evaluated and installed in HUD housing, military bases, property management units, public housing and by mold remediation companies, and contractors across the country for over 20 years.
WAVE Moisture Control – A Healthy Dry Home is Easy as 1-2-3
1. Expel…odors, stagnant moisture, mold spores, along with the indoor gases and pollutants from the lowest point where they are the most concentrated.
2. Replenish…continuously with warmer, drier air from upper level to raise temperature and lower relative humidity. A fresher and healthier air supply from upper level dramatically improves air quality. Keeps balanced air pressure in the lower levels reducing intrusion of radon and toxic vapors.
3. Ventilate…the entire area with a continuous airflow which reverses the flow of the most problematic air from going upstairs, extracts saturated moisture in the structure, reduces biological growth and creates an air exchange as required by building codes and health experts alike.
It is a proven scientific fact that it requires less energy to heat or cool a dry environment compared to a damp one. The Department of Energy co-founded 2 studies examining humidity levels and overall energy use in different types of crawl spaces. Both studies showed that crawl spaces with mechanical ventilation and air replenishment maintained lower relative humidity levels and improved the HVAC efficiency of the entire house by more than 17%. The same operating principles apply in crawl spaces and basements alike.
All homes breathe, even tight ones, and allow for natural air to flow out and then back in through doors, cracks, and windows. It’s undisputed that for health reasons air needs to be expelled and replenished. For best results it should be the worst air in the house which is downstairs, and not arbitrary air like in the case of bathroom fans. This air exchange should also occur continuously and not intermittently.
Dehumidifiers are promoted by so-called “experts” who are comfortable with old technologies, have vested interests and fixed agendas.They do not consider that the homes today are unhealthy and need continuous moisture and air quality control and an air exchange for the entire house. They omit to inform about the true energy cost of running a dehumidifier and that dehumidifiers don’t improve the overall air quality, because they just keep recycling the same air mass.
WAVE moisture control and ventilation systems utilize computerized sensor controls to evaluate conditions and automatically adjust the airflow rate for optimal results and energy efficiency. WAVE systems will transform your home into a drier and healthier environment all year round. Heed the advice of real and independent experts such as the Department of Energy and the EPA, and choose mechanical ventilation, the proven superior technology, over yesterday’s dehumidifier.
Models available for basements, crawl spaces, apartments/slab homes